For safe and effective account management on your personal devices while working from home, follow these top five tips:
- Create a password-protected user account that you only use for work.
- Create a separate account for everything else, including online shopping, casual web-surfing, watching Netflix, etc. Where possible, create additional accounts for anyone else who might use your computer (e.g. family members, roommates, guests, etc.)
- Make sure your work account automatically locks after short periods of inactivity. This will prevent accidental use of your work account by other users.
- Limit yourself to one administrative account on the computer that is used to authorize updates.
- Use different passwords to access each account. Review these tips for creating strong passwords.
Looking for more tips on working remotely? Visit Remote Security Matters.