Think that no one would ever want to steal your personal information? Think again.
Identity thieves are looking out for a chance to steal information that could give them access to your personal and financial accounts.
Protecting your privacy online is essential for your personal life along with your life at UofT. Your UTORid gives you access to protected data, it is your responsibility as a member of the UofT community to help protect that information.
Identity thieves don’t need much to steal your identity:
- your name
- social insurance number
- bank account number
- credit card number
- your passwords
Don’t worry, it’s easy to protect yourself:
- use strong passwords
- learn how to spot “phishy” websites and emails
- use encrypted internet connections
- use secure e-commerce sites
- be wary when asked for personal information
- set privacy settings on your browser
- read website privacy policies